I love reading my friends blogs about what is going on in their lives, relationships, ministries, and churches, and I realized that I’m so bad about doing the same…. When God has been showing me His faithfulness right before my eyes! So I thought I would share the story of the latest thing the Lord has placed before me.
A few months ago my friend Tiffany and I were at a missions prayer meeting that our friends have. While we were at the meeting, our friends who host it started sharing with us that the Lord has given them a heart to reach the community in their own backyard. Isn’t is so sad how we can get so excited and invested in Foreign Missions and forget about the very people who live behind our Church buildings? So as they were sharing their vision, Tiffany and I started talking and realizing how many apartment buildings and neighborhoods are around our Church, totally unreached! So Tiffany went home that night, and I went home that night very burdened. Tiffany shared with our friend (who is also her sister) April, and April shared that she has also been burdened to do something more to reach out to the community. So we started to pray…
What we DIDN’T know, was that our missions pastor Carlos, and our local refugee missionary friend Brian had been really burdened to start up English as a Second language classes at our Church.
So imagine our surprise, and theirs, when they learned that we all really had the same vision! Most of the people in our area are Russian, Spanish, or speak Arabic, so ESL is an awesome way to get involved in what is going on around us.
We started praying about it and literally it all just started coming together! I have never in my life so clearly seen God orchestrate something. God has been so faithful to bring Russian and Spanish speaking believers, and even a girl with her Masters in ESL, who made us a curriculum for free!
Our first ESL class starts tomorrow, and we will be meeting every Wednesday thru August.
I would COVET your prayers as at this point me and Brian are the closest thing to an Arabic speaking person that we have…. and between the two of us, that still isn’t much! Also, please pray that God would be glorified thru this, and that many would come to saving faith in Jesus Christ. We want them to walk away having learned English, but ultimately learning the love of God.
Also, pray that people come, because that is key :)
What a awesome thing, to have the Nations at our doorstep.

No comments:
Post a Comment