Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Behold! I make all things NEW!

Lately I’ve been so encouraged by just dwelling on the fact that Jesus is coming back. Last night at College and Career we read through Revelation 21, and It reminded me that for all who are saved through faith is Jesus Christ, we have this redemption. By God’s grace we may even partake in some of this redemption while we are here on earth!

I saw this outline by Ed Hindson, and I know it’s academic, but I was just overwhelmed by how much the Holy Spirit has confirmed the Lord’s coming. There are nine different Greek words used to describe His coming!

1. Hoerchomenos. “The coming one,” as in Hebrews 10:37, “For yet a little while,

and he that shall come will come.”

2. Erchomai. The act of coming. Used often of Christ’s return. Cf. Matthew

24:30;John 14:3; 2 Thessalonians 1:10; Jude 14; Revelation 1:7; 22:20.

3. Katabaino. To “come down” or descend, as in 1 Thessalonians 4:16, “For the

Lordhimself shall descend from heaven with a shout.”

4. Heko. Result of one’s coming, to have “arrived,” as in Revelation 3:3, “I will

come as a thief.”

5. Parousia.Denotes arrival and presence (of a ruler), as in 1 Thessalonians 2:19,

“For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Are not you in the presence ofour Lord Jesus Christ at his coming?”

6. Apokalupsis. Meaning to “unveil” or “uncover.” Rendered” appearing”

(1Peter 1:7) or “coming” (1 Corinthians 1:7) or “revelation”(Revelation 1:1). Involves the unveiling of His divine glory.

7. Phaneroo.To “appear” (John 21:1) or be “manifest” (1 John 3:5). Asin

1John 3:2, “It is not yet made manifest what we shall be. but we know that,if he shall be manifested, we shall be like him; for we shall see him even ashe is.”

8. Epiphaino.To “appear” in full light or visibility. Denotes the”brightness” of

Hiscoming (2 Thessalonians 2:8) and the glory of “that day… unto all themthat love his appearing” (2 Timothy 4:8).

9. Horao.To “see with the eyes,” or to “appear” visibly, as inHebrews 9:28, “and

unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time.” …..

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.” And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.” Also he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.” And he said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the spring of the water of life without payment. The one who conquers will have this heritage, and I will be his God and he will be my son.” [Revelation 21]

I just think that in the fog of life, we have been given this picture for a reason. It can be exhausting and so wearisome to look at the future, and to try to see through what can look like such a fog. But we KNOW that these words are true, and that in Christ our future is sure. And that is what I am just resting in right now. Whether God gives me blessings on this earth or not, the surety of life with Him is more then enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment