In September I started driving up to the Camp at Old Mill every Thursday afternoon. The Camp at Old mill is a camp located about five minutes outside the city of Coatesville. Every Thursday the camp has a ministry that busses the kids over to the camp for a Bible Study.
This beautiful camp is used every summer to teach these kids about God's word. I've been going there in the summers for years, but just recently I have started to realize just how bad these kids lives are. Violence to them is every day life. A day without seeing a fight at school would be strange.
Since I have started going up on Thursdays, I have learned more and more about these kids and their everyday lives. They go to School in fear that they could be killed, yes killed. They go home to houses that are barely functioning and families that are broken. In this city, your lucky if you have one parent. It's so startling to me that this is the place where I am from, yet my life is so different. 40 miles separates my life from theirs, that is all. Some of the kids come through the program and either end of dead or in jail by the time they are 18, so we need to take every chance we can to get the gospel to them.
The people that run this ministry are such role models to me. They have been so faithful to these kids, they have fully given their lives to this ministry.
When I first started driving up I felt totally incapable of helping the teenage girls I was hanging out with. I felt like I was so unaware of there troubles that I couldn't even relate. But I was reminded that God knows their troubles and He knows exactly what they need! As a missionary in a "foreign" land, I have such need of the help of the Spirit. I need to be desperate for the Lord to work through me. Without His help, I could not help them.
Habakkuk 2:1 says "I will stand my watch and set myself on the rampart, and watch and see what He will say to me"
This is the attitude we need as ministers! We need to be watching, because it is God who will show us what the people need. He knows their needs, and even when we don't feel like we can help, with Him we can. He can build bridges over oceans to help us relate to people, we just need to trust Him.
I'm so blessed to know that My God is the one who helps these kids, not me. When I feel like I'm failing them, I know that He is not. He is Faithful.




No comments:
Post a Comment